There may be occasions when it is necessary to refund part or all of the payment for a payment item.
If you want to refund bulk orders for a payment item, please refer to this article.
There are two methods to refund an individual order:
Processing a refund via order history
The following video shows how this is achieved, with written instructions provided immediately below.
- Select Payments > Order History from the left-hand menu. A list of all orders placed is displayed.
- Search by name or order ID and then select the order you need to refund. Details of the order are displayed in the right-hand panel.
- If required, click the View Payments button to see details about the payment and whether it can be refunded. Click the Actions button then select Refund from the drop-down menu.
- The Refund Order window is displayed. Select the payment item(s) you wish to refund. Enter the Refund Amount (this displays the full amount by default so only needs to be amended for partial refunds) then click the Refund Selected button. You cannot refund more than the cost of the item and the refund will always be made using the same method as the original payment (i.e. PayPal, debit card, etc.).PIf you attempt to refund a credit or debit card that has subsequently expired, you will be prompted to select an alternative refund method (either cash or cheque). PayPal transactions will not be refunded if older than 1 year and will, therefore, need to be refunded by cash or cheque. You will then need to mark the order as cancelled. Please see this article for more information on cancelling payment item orders.
- If any instalments or deposits are eligible for refund (depending on the payment item settings), select the Refund Deposits check box if you also want to refund those.
- If you chose an instalment to be non-refundable, the deposit, for example, you need to select the Refund Deposits checkbox at the top in order to refund the payment.
- A Refund Summary window is displayed. Click the Next button.
- An Information window is displayed confirmed that the refund is being processed. Card payments will take around 3-5 working days to return to the original account.
Processing refund via payment item
- Select Payments > Payment Items from the left-hand menu then search for and select the required payment item.
- Payment item details are displayed in the right-hand panel. Click the Actions button and select View Orders from the drop-down menu.
- From the View Orders for... window, select the required users, then click the Refund button.
- The Refund Users window is displayed. The Date of Refund defaults to today's date. This can be changed if the refund was made on a different day.
- Enter the amount of the refund. In some cases, this can be a partial refund, perhaps if the ordered item was damaged. Click the Refund button.
- A Refund Summary window is displayed listing the refunds that will be made. Card and PayPal refunds are made automatically. For all other refunds, you will need to select the required method of refunding from the Select refund method drop-down list (cash or cheque). If this is a physical item, you will also need to select whether the item is being returned to stock or not. Click the Next button.If the item is being returned to stock, the stock quantity will be automatically updated accordingly.
- An Information window is displayed confirming that the refund has taken place. Click the OK button.
- The View Orders for... window is updated to reflect the payments made.
- Remember to mark the refunded order as cancelled by ticking the required user and selecting Mark Cancelled at the bottom of the View Orders for... window. Read this article for more information.
- Repeat for any other refunds payments as required then click the Close button.