The SIMS Autolink automatically transfers parents and students and staff data from SIMS into ParentMail. The link must firstly be installed as described in the guide attached to the end of this article.We recommend that this process is carried out by an IT Technician.
If you are locally hosted for SIMS (you have a SIMS server - a machine that runs overnight within the school), you must ensure the software is installed directly onto the SIMS Server, and not on a local machine.
If you are centrally hosted for SIMS (your SIMS server is hosted elsewhere) you will need to log a request with the entity who hosts your SIMS system to provide you with an Open VPN Connector program. This program should be installed on your workstation. You can then request your IT Technician to install the SIMS Autolink on your workstation.If you are hosted with SCOMIS, please request SCOMIS to provide you with your SIMS credentials.
If you are unsure about your Server setup, please check with your IT department.
When you are setting up the SIMS Autolink, the following should be carried out:
- Login details for ParentMail will be provided by the school.
- Create a SIMS user: parentmail with the permissions of: Third Party Reporting, Personnel Officer and Admin Assistant.
- Confirm with the school what reports they would like to add (they may not want to add staff into ParentMail).
- If you are adding on staff to ParentMail, please use the attached PMX2 Staff Export report to add to the SIMS Autolink (you can only save this file, you are unable to open the file).
When the Autolink updates via SIMS, the following will not be changed:
- Users will not be deleted automatically from ParentMail. This includes leavers, parents and staff. Find out here on how to remove leavers manually.
- The Autolink will not update contact information (email address and mobile numbers) for Connected users as they will have confirmed these details at the time of registration. Changes to contact information (email address and mobile numbers) must be made manually by the school (pending user approval within 7 days of when the change was made or the details will revert back) or by the user themselves within the app or online portal.
To begin the installation:
- Within ParentMail, select Settings > MIS Link from the left-hand menu.If you are unable to see Settings, you are missing the Manage Settings permission. Please refer to this article find out how to manage permissions. If you can access settings but can see a blank page appear when you click onto MIS Link, please refer to this article.
- Select MIS Link from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Installation Instructions PDF to download a PDF guide to your browser.
- Click onto Report Exporter Installer to download the installation installer.
- Now you can see details of your Autolink and from this page you can:
- Disable Autolink - If you would like to stop the overnight syncing to occur, you can disable link here.
- Generate New Key - If you required to reset the API Key for the ParentMail SIMS configuration manager, click this button to generate a new key.
The system will produce a rejected records report showing all the anomalies of data that could not be imported, with the reasons why:
- Parents and Students Rejected Records Report
- Staff Rejected Records Report
- Parents' Evening Rejected Records Report
If the SIMS Autolink has not synced over data, there are a number of reasons why the SIMS Autolink hasn't connected. The best option will be to follow our this article here on troubleshooting the SIMS Autolink.If you are still experiencing issues with the Autolink please contact us on Live Chat for further investigation or email the log file to firstname.lastname@example.org. The log file is likely to be located here (C:\logs\parentmailreportexporter)